Monday, June 27, 2016

True Friends

My Dear Family,

This week was one of the harder weeks I have had in the mission but well, I’m still happy, healthy and working, so it’s all good!! The good thing about the mission is that even when you are having rough times with the work, you still have the chance to learn a lot and be edified by the spirit. In our area we have more or less 550 houses and we have contacted more than 400 of them. I think people are starting to think we are spies trying to find the info of everyone because we write down the names of everyone and the church they go to when we contact them, haha. The odd thing is that I still KNOW without a doubt that there are people in my area that need to be baptized. There are always people, I just need to find them is all!

During the week I had two interchanges with two completely different missionaries. The first one is one of my buddies from my group that came to work with me. He came and we worked our butts off. It was one of the most tiring days I have had in a long time, but I just felt so good afterward knowing that we had given it our all. Obviously after 2 years there are some days when it’s just so hard to give it everything and I have started to feel like I haven’t been working 100%. But after that day it helped me a lot to continue working. Then I had another change where the missionary is just super ready to go home and we didn’t do nearly as much as we could have throughout the day. Afterwards I was just thinking a lot and couldn’t believe that affect those two missionaries had on me. But it’s so true, the people we choose to be with affect our lives in a significant manner. It’s so crucial that we choose to spend time with friends that are going to uplift us and motivate us to be true disciples of Jesus Christ. My whole life I have been surrounded by people in the ward that forced me to always be a better person. So I just invite you guys to think about who you spend most of your time with...Are they people that lift you up or tear you down? Obviously there are people that need our help and we need to be with them, but we need to pick people that truly have what’s best for us in mind. Just something that’s been on my mind lately...

Another interesting event was we met this guy from Cali that has tattoos all over his body and has had so many legal problems that he just decided to come live here in Atiki (Atiquizaya) where his family lives. He has a ton of money and like 6 food businesses. He saw us gringos, I was on interchanges, and invited us in...So we got to know him and wow, it just blew my mind all the crazy stuff he was telling us about his life and what he had done. We taught the lesson entirely in English and it was the weirdest thing to teach and testify of the Restoration in English. I felt so free to express myself and found a new power in my words. I have worked my entire mission to master Spanish, but teaching in your native tongue is just so much easier. The guy is going to church this week and we will see what happens! We can’t make exceptions for people so, well... we will see how it goes with him!

The rain just continues to come every. Single. Day. Like an afternoon without rain is such a blessing. It’s gotten to the point that I just gave up and walk around wet all day...

But times out and I’m off to enjoy some nice El Salvadoran hamburgers, so talk to you next week!

Elder Crump







No comments:

Post a Comment